You can view our attendance policy via the link below.
Any absence means that children miss important school time – both educationally and for other school activities. It will be difficult for them to catch up on work later on.
Understanding types of absence:
Every half-day absence from school has to be classified by the school as either authorised or unauthorised. This is why information about the cause of any absence is always required.
Authorised absences are mornings or afternoons away from school for a good reason like illness, medical or dental appointments which unavoidably fall in school time, emergencies or another unavoidable cause.
Unauthorised absences are those which the school does not consider reasonable and for which no approved leave has been given. This includes:
- Parents/carers keeping children off school unnecessarily
- Absences which have not been properly explained
- Children who arrive at school too late to get a mark
- Shopping, looking after other children or birthdays
- Day trips and holidays in term time which have not been agreed
Absence procedures – Parental responsibility:
- Inform the school office on the first day of absence by phoning 0161 921 1840.
- If child is unable to return on expected date, parent to inform school office.
- Provide copies of medical appointment letters or cards.