Mr P White
Mrs J Brown
Welcome to the Year 2 class page.
I am Mr White, the class teacher.
Also, working in the class and with your children is Mrs Brown, who is an extremely experience teaching assistant.
In Year 2, we have a broad and engaging curriculum, which focuses on building basic skills of reading, writing and maths whilst also building independence.
My focus and goal, as the class teacher, is for all the pupils in my class to be able to read and comprehend what they are reading to the highest standard possible. I want them to be able to write, at length, in full sentences using a range of punctuation. In maths we focus on having a strong understanding across each area of maths and be able to apply and use this understanding to solve problems. This basic skills filters through into many other areas of the broad curriculum that is taught in Year 2. Please see the curriculum zone for more information.
- After the register, we start each morning with phonics where the children develop their reading and writing of phonetic sounds.
- Following this we move into reading comprehension where the class develop their reading and understanding of reading comprehension through a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts. Next, we move into writing where the children work on a particular genre or type of text based upon a book.
- After break we have Maths, where often use concrete equipment to help their understanding of maths concepts before practising and applying their skills and knowledge to problem solving.
- Our afternoons consist of Science, PSHE, History, Geography, Art and Design at the start of the week. And we finish the week with RE, French, Music, Computing and Design Technology.
- Tuesday is PE day. All children are required to come to school in full PE kit.
Going the extra mile for success
All home support is hugely appreciated and makes a positive impact on your child's learning opportunities. Please support your child by ensuring they read at least 5 times a week, with 5-10 pages per night. Please bring diaries/books into school daily and use diaries to communicate with me throughout the week.
Homework assignments will be set through Spelling Shed, which will directly support the work and learning of spellings in class. Please encourage your children to also use NumBots to develop their knowledge and understanding of core maths skills such as number bonds.
If you prefer paper copies, please let me know.
This year, we are continuing with the 'Walk to School' scheme, where children receive badges for taking part and increasing their fitness. If you have to drive your child to school, they can still achieve an active badge by parking at the shops and walking the remaining distance.
If you have any questions about your child’s learning, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org